Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A call you will have to make

You have the keys to your new house. The power is turned on, everything is moved in. Still haven't turned on your phone? Perhaps you shouldn't...

I don't think it will be long before landlines become a part of the landfills.

Today, 14% of American adults are using their cell phone as their primary phone line, no landline required. And with the onset of VOIP, voice over internet, routing calls over the internet couldn't be easier. In fact, 1:7 adults use VOIP as their primary landline supplement or replacement.

Vonage, AT&T, and Verizon all have plans available at around $25/mo, and TMobile has even introduced their version of VOIP for around $10/mo, but only if you are a subscriber.

So the pricing is reasonable, but what are the cons?

Well, as you know, cell phone reception in many parts of the East Bay is...well...non-existent. I can't tell you how many times I am on the 80 fwy @ Gilman, and for a split second, my phone cuts out. Thanks, AT&T.

VOIP requires electricity; if the power goes out, you have no phone service. In addition, it also requires a broadband connection. If your connection isn't great, then neither will the clarity of your calls.

I have VOIP at my house. It is pretty cool, but if I haven't retrieved the messages on my VM, then I can't fax. This is annoying when you are running a business from home. On the flip side, not only can I access these same messages remotely, but I receive an email when there is a message. Love it!

So before killing your landline, check cell phone reception in your 'hood and investigate your broadband. Is it worth the change? That is a call you will have to make.

No comments: