Thursday, June 26, 2008

Becoming Green, Go Solar Water Heating

Most of you know that I am becoming, well, green. And to some people (like 4 year old JJ) I have been green for awhile.

I am trying to do my part at protecting and sustaining the environment. Outside of the home I try to walk or BART as much as possible, I support local and green businesses, I combine errands by location, and I drive the hybrid as much as possible. Inside the house I started composting, I pack lunches in "Wrap-n-Mats" instead of wasting plastic bags, and we have cut the water pressure in half on all showers.

But there are some bigger things that can be done to your home. Think solar. Yes, we have all heard about the benefits of solar electricity and how it can drastically save you money on your energy bill. But going solar can cost some serious cash. Here is something you don't hear a lot about, solar water. Yup, a solar water heater. Huh?

Last month I had the pleasure of interviewing Martin Morehouse of Sun Light & Power. I met with Martin at the home of one of his current projects in Rockridge. Martin was kind enough to tell me a little bit about solar water heating and just how it works.


DID YOU KNOW?



No comments: